10.15.2010

Pink ribbons

Half-way through the month and I am already at the end of my emotional chain when it comes to pink ribbons, "cute" breast symbols on facebook statuses, etc. This month it is constant...all the things I do to forget about my cancer...internet, TV, shop (ok, I never shop, but if I did)...these things are all covered with breast cancer ribbons. Cute little pink ribbons...we should be putting them on baby girls at the hospital, now they represent a disease that I have been fighting without break for 5 1/2 years, and frankly, the disease is winning right now. The disease kills an estimated 40,000 women a year and it is estimated that over 190,000 women are newly diagnosed each year.
It is just too overwhelming. I know I get this way every October. At the beginning of the month it is cool, but then as the month goes on, it is just that 'awareness' once a week all year would be better than 100 times a day for one month. It's not like breast cancer is inactive all the other months. If you need proof, the blog goes way back.
SORRY, I know that isn't very inspiring, or that great attitude that I have been told I have, but that is how I am feeling, and that is what this blog is all about, my life with cancer. 
What am I thankful for!? Ice cream! I think I will have some right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's right..you can write whatever you feel on here, and that is why we are all here to listen, good or bad!! Glad to hear that the shots are working, hang in there and have a great weekend!!

Love ya,
Bridget

Anonymous said...

HAHA...IS YOUR ICE CREAM PINK!! SORRY SIS I HAD TOO!!!! I LOVE YOU ;) I'm more a chocolate person myself!!

Anonymous said...

From now on lets make cancer ribbons poop green...that should be more fitting!! I don't know if I'll dye my hair poop green though...I don't think I could pull that one off!!
-sis