The American Cancer Society - 2010 Relay For Life Lincoln Haymarket Park NE:

The American Cancer Society - 2010 Relay For Life Lincoln Haymarket Park NE:

I am again raising money for the American Cancer Society by participating in the Relay For Life with my family and friends!

Please go to the link above to track our fundraising efforts, to sign up for our team, to create your own team, or to donate to help our team raise money towards a CURE!!!!

40% of the funds raised from this event will go to researchers nationwide. The other 60% will be used right here in our state to help cancer patients like myself with transportation to treatment, obtain wigs and other products to help cope with the physical changes of cancer, and provides literature on the cancer diagnosis, treatment options, and issues within the family. These are just a few of the resources that the ACS provides.

My team and I will be walking the track at Haymarket Park for 12 hours- from 7pm on July 16th till the morning of July 17th! Below I am including information on what this walk represents. This and much more information can be found at relayforlife.org and cancer.org.

Please help me give back to an organization that has help me with so so so much!!!

Relay For Life
"Cancer Does Not Stop For Nighttime"

"Relay For Life is an 18 hour journey providing the light and dark of day and night to parallel the physical effects, emotions, and mental state of a cancer patient while undergoing treatment.

Relay For Life begins during the day, when the sun is shining bright and the excitement and energy is flowing through the community. The setting sun symbolizes the time when a patient is diagnosed with cancer. The day is getting darker and this represents the cancer patient's state of mind as he or she feels that life is coming to an end.

As the evening goes on it gets colder and darker, just as the emotions of the cancer patient does. Around 1:ooam to 2:00 am represents the time when the cancer patient starts treatment. They become exhausted, some sick, not wanting to go on, possibly wanting to give up. as a participant, you have been walking and feel much the same way. You are tired, want to sleep, maybe even want to go home, but you cannot stop or give up.

Around 4:00am to 5:00am symbolizes the coming of the end of treatment for the cancer patient. Once again they are tired, but they know they will make it.

The sun rising represents the end of treatment for the cancer patient. They see the light at the end of the tunnel and know that life will go on. The morning light brings on a new day full of life and excitement for new beginnings for the cancer patient. As a participant, you will feel the brightness of the morning and know that the end of the RELAY is close at hand.

When you leave the Relay, think of the cancer patient leaving their last treatment. Just as you are exhausted and weak, so is that person after treatment. But a new day has arrived and we are continuing to take up the fight against cancer. REMEMBER: There is no finish line until we find a cure."

I have not yet had the sun come up on my cancer journey. For the last 5 years I have been in some type of cancer treatment, be it chemotherapy, biological therapy, or radiation. I have not yet been able to feel the realization that I am going to be okay. I live my life in that 1-2am timeframe.

I will continue to fight in memory of my friends that have DIED from cancer, those that will never see the light of day again, and for myself and others who have not yet seen the light of day that represents remission or a cure for cancer.

What am I thankful for?!?! Relayers all over the world!

1 comment:

Liz said...

You are an inspiration Tracy. Your hope, your admiration...you are full of life and lots of love. You are a true role model for the young ladies of our world. You are brave, honest, strong, kind and quite funny....qualities that are rare. My wish for you is to always have that smile and be proud of who you are...it seems to be simply spectacular.